Texarkana (AR/TX) area?

Business topics for local face-to-face meetings or meetups
Tremillian

Texarkana (AR/TX) area?

Post by Tremillian »

I live near Texarkana, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to start having a face to face meeting. I don't know who would lead it, maybe I can find a professional at first, and I'm not sure what time/day. Anyone interested/in that area?
Tremillian

Texarkana (AR/TX) area?

Post by Tremillian »

I don't think I could lead the meeting, as I don't know if I've been sober long enough for that? The longest I was ever in recovery was 5 months, and it's been less than a week this time. However, I have connections with several therapists in town and imagine I could get one to lead it until we found someone in recovery that would be acceptable.
Jeff

Texarkana (AR/TX) area?

Post by Jeff »

Any member can lead a meeting.  The difficulty with not being off games long enough is just that withdrawal is bad and it takes some time to settle down and that interferes with our functioning. 

What might be helpful about therapists is that they might know other people who could use a meeting.  Of course they wouldn't be able to tell you about them because of confidentiality, but if you arranged to have a meeting and posted that publicly, the therapists could share that information with other therapists or their other clients.

You also might want to come to some online meetings (maybe you already have?).  You could get a sense of how meetings might go, which could be helpful to you in leading one. Honestly, leading a meeting isn't very hard--but starting one is.  You have to consistently show up every week, even if there is no one else there, which is tough.  

If you do decide to start one, you may want to try using meetup.com.  There are a couple of meetings in the Los Angeles area that have used that resource to help them get people together, and they have a thriving meeting going.

I hope some of this helps, and I also hope I run into you at an online meeting sometime!  Best wishes!